Sunday, 19 February 2017

Overhauling my diet and exercise


I've spent just over the past year year and half going to the gym. As a couple we haven't always been 100% committed but we have gone nearly all the time and only missed it when we have had good reason. We have a personal trainer and we have personalised workout plans for us to follow. It has really set in to me that although I give it my best at the gym and push myself I haven't seen the results I was expecting, and I know it is a lot to do with what I eat, and I want to make a more conscious effort to eat better this year. 



I wont sit here and pretend I have given up all bad foods, but we have tried to cut back on the things we know aren't good for us, and have treats every now and again rather than eating whatever we think is quick or convenient. I had a fruit bowl for months that sat empty and now I fill it every week with a mix of fruit and really do try to make sure I am getting more fruit and veg in my diet as I know it is good for me and is an area my diet can easily lack. I know if I continue to work on my diet and make these changes gradually and in a way that means I wont miss anything or feel like it is a strict change I am more likely to stick to it all. 

I was totally shocked into the rethink this week, being so busy and having days out, struggling to fit in time to eat with my husband and actually prep and cook meals has been so difficult. I have eaten take away most days this week, whether it be for dinner or for tea, for convenience, like when the car breaks down at 6pm on your way home and you don't get back to your house till almost 10pm from work, its common sense to go to McDonalds on the way back from being towed 40 minutes to the garage and then a 40 minute drive home? On top of that, I have had some fantastic events with prosecco, wine tasting, tequila, sangria. Well, it all adds up doesn't it?

I usually know what I weigh at the gym, we use a fancy machine that tells your your fat, muscle, water, bone mass etc and so I tend to have a good run down of my body and I updated my fitbit with my weight for better tracking. I joked about the amount of food and lack of gym this week and decided to weigh myself, for science of course! I have gained 4lbs this week, and all I can say is I'm surprised its not more! 

I always want to be able to indulge and enjoy myself but this week was so excessive. So, When I walk into the gym tomorrow I not only want to smash my workout and sweat it all out, I now have an extra 4lb to work off before I even make progress again. I wont see my personal trainer tomorrow but I will on Wednesday, and I cannot wait or him to really kick my ass. He always tells us if we actually tried and worked hard we could have a six pack in six weeks, (based on our bodies and where we are at) and I always say I want to work for it, and then I eat so much cake that I just gain belly fat, not belly muscle! 

I want to say I do not in any way think I am fat, or need to loose weight at all, however we are working really hard to build up muscle and be more physically fit and achieve strong, lean bodies and this week I feel like I have been worse than before I even started going to the gym, so I am just feeling a little down about how bad I let myself be! I also think this goes hand in hand with yesterdays post, the clothing and fashion rut, I think the changes to my body shape are also something that makes fashion and buying clothes a little harder, Shopping for something that is ever changing is quite hard to do and sometimes when my clothes stop fitting it is so stressing to then have to shop for need rather than want, and I never find anything when I need to! 

I feel inspired to do a progress post with my gym workout, but I don't know yet if I will post one, and obviously I will need to take before pictures now and then post them in the future when I have changed shape and stuff, but I might consider it. I hope you are having a fantastic week, and if you fancy spurring me on on twitter to have a good gym workout then please do, any encouragement is welcomed greatly! 



8 comments:

  1. I know the feeling sometimes it just isnt convenient to cook healthy food! Good luck with your next pt session! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really isn't, and even fruit sometimes isn't, want an orange? Good look chucking the orange peel in the bottom of your bag when a chocolate bar wrapper creates a lot less mess if you cant get to a bin! lol x

      Delete
  2. It is so hard to maintain a healthy, good diet - I'm always inclined to snack or grad fast food and I almost never eat fruit. I've realised as I enter my 30s that if I want to healthier in my old age, I probably need to start doing something about it now, before it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I feel I want to make the changes now to have a healthier life down the line, but it can be so hard to do, I lack motivation to eat healthy a lot and find it hard to come up with interesting healthy meal ideas too x

      Delete
  3. Good luck Sarah - it's hard sometimes to keep up a healthy diet when we are so busy and convenience food is always the easiest option. I am a lot better at it now that I have Mia (hate the thought of giving her too much processed crap) but we still enjoy a cheeky McDonalds! All about the balance.

    Kara
    www.spreadthesparkle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, balance is really great, even my personal trainer said I can enjoy a domino's if i don't have it too often, so I don't want to go without, its just hard like you say, but I want to try and be healthier because I would want to raise my future kids with a fairly healthy balanced diet too x

      Delete